VideoCamera's that can be added to a Micro ROV

Discussion space for people who are interested in learning and sharing information about image and video production.

Moderator: Chief

VideoCamera's that can be added to a Micro ROV

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Following up on our board on Video Capture Devices, I think it's starting to move into a different direction. So rather than see the thread hi-jacked or lost, I thought I'd start a new thread for everyone to post what they think is a great camera or recording device that can be added to one of our ROV's.

So with that, let me start off by giving you two links to what I think is an amazing 3D/360 Global View/HD camera. What's really amazing is that you can view in any direction at any time (live or recorded). The first link is the camera and it's specs, the second is a video. Once you've allowed the video to load "grab" the screen and spin it around. Trust me, it's pretty awesome... Maybe it'll be the "external" camera for the Pro5 :D

http://www.immersivemedia.com/products/capture.html

http://www.immersivemedia.com/content/entertainment.php?clip=Video6

Chief
Chief

Re: VideoCamera's that can be added to a Micro ROV

Postby ncuwi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:08 am

That is very cool Chief. I saw a demonstration of something like that only it was a real-time (or almost real-time) 3D webcam of a busy street corner. Can't remember where I saw it though.
ncuwi

Postby KymarSubsea » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm

That's very cool! I have been seeing this type of thing starting to enter the pipe / manhole inspection field. The one that I saw took still pictures and mosaiced them together thought. It was just like street view on google maps but inside a pipe. It works very well because once the survey has been run the engineer can fly through the pipe at his own speed at his desk.
Here is a link:
http://rapidview.com/panoramo.htm
Pete Weber
Kymar Subsea
San Diego, CA
www.kymarsubsea.com
KymarSubsea

Postby rovtom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 am

That 2360 is amazing! I want one!
rovtom

Postby Chief » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:27 pm

I just finished working with a film company in Los Angeles using an HD rig that is attached to the VideoRay. What's amazing is that not only is it powered via the VideoRay, but they have hooked up an IR immitter through the Auxillary port so that you can start, stop and even review your footage on the camera while the VideoRay is underwater.

Here is a picture of the HD Rig being flown by some trainee's...
HD Rig.JPG
Chief

Postby Chief » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:51 pm

If you haven't had the chance to use a true HD camera underwater, your missing out. I had the chance to use an enhanced version of the VideoRay HD Rig on a Pro4. Seemless integration and the video's are amazing. If you want to see some great underwater footage watch "Expedition Great White" on NAT GEO. By enhanced what I mean is, the camera is controlled via a remote control on the surface through an IR repeater. You can zoom in or out, adjust the focus, take still pictures (8mega pixels I believe...).

Were also prototyping a "Eye-Fi" SD/HD card. It's an HD card with a built in Wifi antennae. Basically it allows us to transfer pictures and video's instantly once you bring the ROV up on the deck and are next to your computer. The expectation are high with this device, but we'll see if reality takes a bite out of it...

For those who are "tweakers" you can change the camera settings on the fly if you wish. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the pictures and video's up here soon.

Chief
Chief

Return to Video and Picture Capture