Live Feeds

Discussion space for people who are interested in learning and sharing information about image and video production.

Moderator: Chief

Live Feeds

Postby tom_glebas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Has anyone been involved in or interested in live video feeds from ROV projects? If so, what options were used or are you considering? A possible solution that is fairly generic, and viewing universally available (not requiring viewers to have a specific app like Skype) is www.livestream.com. I've tested it with some basic webcam use and plan to try using a VideoRay as the video feed soon. With livestream, it is possible to set up a virtual studio with live feeds from several locations and cue up the feeds at will - sort of like a live news broadcast cues up news stories from different locations. if anyone wants to team up to test that, let me know. We've also tried other solutions like Skype and Windows media manager, but they either require a specific app, or for media manager, which can be set up to act as a video server, gets bogged down and the lag continues to increase (that could have been due to the computer and a higher powered machine might have solved some of that).

Tom
tom_glebas

Re: Live Feeds

Postby MarineSimulationLLC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Tom,

This is an area that interests us. We've done this a number of times, not with VR ROVs, but in concept it should work with any ROV. Longest distance we've done this so far has been with Egypt and Singapore. Lag times vary, but at times I've been surprised at how fast it has been to some really far away places.

Paul
MarineSimulationLLC
Dabbler

Re: Live Feeds

Postby DanDolson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Tom, We have used Adobe Connect successfully for a hosted solution. We have a legacy account, so I am not sure what new services they offer. It was designed for teleconferencing, but works as well with ROV videos. http://connectnow.acrobat.com/seattlediving
Daniel Dolson
President
Seattle Diving Company

Office +1 (206) 298-DIVE
Mobile +1 (206) 854-4057
Brazil Mobile +55 (21) 8290 8600
danield@sdiving.com
DanDolson

Return to Video and Picture Capture