Ignorance is bliss

Discussion of Commercial Diving topics (such as pipeline inspection).

Moderator: rovtom

Ignorance is bliss

Postby underwater » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:46 pm

There I was...... Wow, this whole thing started when a commercial diving buddy of mine (we went to dive school together and each spent a few years in the GOM diving offshore) bought an Explorer to supplement his Vermont diving company. I talked at length with him and Penny Allds in Tennessee about what they were doing with these mini-rov's. I subsequently started a Company and sold my first job without ever seeing one of these, much less sitting in the driver's seat! My customer has a leak in a 108" pipeline that connects two 2.2 million gallon Clearwells together. Not a big leak but a constant thorn in his side. So I engineered a dye delivery system (dds) to deliver food grade dye out in front of Dave's Explorer. I marry tubing to the tether and design a mixing tank and pressure control, ending up with 4.5 gallons of dye ready to go. Dave sends the unit down from Vermont, a friend and I work on logistics and trim in his pool and we are ready to rock! Penny is interested enough to offer to come down and witness either my heroics or my public humilition, lending me her knowledge, steady hand and clear eye of experience, not to mention another 250' of neutral tether. Perhaps fortunately for me, we ran into a grating that no one knew was covering the output pipe leading into the pipeline. Much embarrassment and knashing of teeth on the part of the water management team. The whole time Penny was wishing she brought her Pro III along. They have vowed to have me back withing 3 weeks or so, but I had to send Dave's unit back as his diver's helmet camera is out of action. Things I have learned: 1. ignorance is bliss; I was just blazing ahead with this operation as if I knew what I was doing. Funny thing is, the dds works great and we may have just been lucky enough to find that leak! 2. Now I have to deliver on my promises and hopefully Penny can bring her Pro III down and we will enjoy the extra thruster power. After talking with Scott Bentley I have several ideas which will help. I like the sounds of the new beta unit with its increased thruster power. Smaller diameter tubing will help. 3. I definately need to beg, borrow or steal a power enhancement package from somewhere. The extra power and the 100' of tether will definately make or break this job. There is a flange at 240' from one entry point and 245' feet from another entry point that would then be obtainable. I have a strange feeling that is where we will find our leak.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions let me know, although I am just ignorant enough to think I can pull this off. Don't pop my bubble! Where can I rent an enhancement package?

underwater@earthlink.net
underwater
Dabbler

Ignorance is bliss

Postby underwater » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:56 am

PS. I have another challenge already in the works.... 850' of 48" pipe, with 7 or 8 90 degree turns, some of which result in vertical ascents. I may be able to access this one from both ends of the pipe, making it easier. I haven't seen the schematic yet though.

Quite honestly, are the Videoray mini rov's the right tool for the job on these large diameter pipe leak detection and visual inspection jobs??
underwater
Dabbler

Return to Commercial Diving