Inpecting long pipelines inside

Discussion of Commercial Diving topics (such as pipeline inspection).

Moderator: rovtom

Postby bruno » Tue May 24, 2005 3:36 pm

I've been contacted to inspect the interior of a long horizontal floded pipeline. The line is about 1 km long (0,6 miles), and there is only one opening on each end. This would require some good 500m+ of tether. Any previous experience on this? I'm supposed to get some local pictures and blueprints later this week, I'll post them.
bruno
Dabbler

Postby thomas » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:02 pm

Our experience is only on the exterior inspection of pipelines. Internal monitoring should be easyer because of the absence of any current. Watch out if there is any sediment at the bottom of pipeline, in this case it will rapidly decrease visibility, having almost nowhere to be flushed. VideoRay gives a max tether lenght of 300m., probably because of loss of signal.
best,
Thomas
thomas

Re: Inpecting long pipelines inside

Postby Craig Bussel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:44 am

I recently completed a 400 ft penetration in a sewage out fall in California. The client wanted to be able to measure the sediment build up inside the tunnal, so I integrated an Imagenex profiling sonar, had to design a custom skid to support the 16.5 inch by 3.5 inch 4 lbs wet sonar unit. Another problem was that the older profiling head was designed for 24VDC, so to power the unit I tapped off the manipulator circuit for power. Over all the inspection was a great success for the customer, again proving the versiatilty of the VideoRays. Below are a couple of images showing the blockage in the tunnal at the 400 ft mark as well as the skid I threw together using UHMW and a fiberglass rail. If you have any qustions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Craig Bussel on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Bussel

Re: Inpecting long pipelines inside

Postby rovtom » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am

Brilliant! good to see the imagenex profiler working on the V'ray. I was wondering about the possibility. I have an Adit inspection possibly coming soon and this may be an option for me here in the UK :)
rovtom

Return to Commercial Diving