The Video Ray and 110 volts in the water

Discussion space for posts that don't fit into the other categories, such as issues with VideoRay products, or general ROV tips.

The Video Ray and 110 volts in the water

Postby lwhistler » Mon May 18, 2009 11:29 pm

I believe that the power for the Video Ray comes from a 110 Volt on shore generator.

I would like to know the risks of this in terms of a swimmer being close by and electrical current leaking from the tether or ROV. I assume that the Video Ray has some sort of "Approval of Electrical Equipment" to be sold to the general public, were as a 12 volt battery ROV wouldn't need such approval to be sold.

What happens if there is an accident on the water and a swimmer is electrocuted. Who would be responsible? I assume the operator better have insurance and to get insurance the ROV would have to meet certain standards. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
lwhistler
Dabbler

Re: The Video Ray and 110 volts in the water

Postby tom_glebas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 am

While VideoRay systems use 110 Volts (100-240 V, 50.60 Hz) on the topside, there is only 48 Volts DC in the tether. On the topside, the systems are protected by industry standard GFCI circuits.

VideoRay systems can be operated using a 12 V battery and inverter, but the inverter converts the 12 Volts DC to the locally used AC specifications.

VideoRay is CE marked for European sales.

As with all electical systems, in addition to the built-in safety circuits, understanding the risks and general safe practices is recommended.
tom_glebas

Return to General ROV / VideoRay Product Questions and Tips