Tether Connection Question

Discussion space for posts that don't fit into the other categories, such as issues with VideoRay products, or general ROV tips.

Tether Connection Question

Postby ROVTrini » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 am

Hi, all im from Trinidad in the Caribbean. Currently we own a pro gto 3 and are having a mess dealing with our tethers. Facing a slew of problems mainly at our connection points between tethers. We have been using the additional support from the braided wire attachments but sometimes i think this does more harm than good.

Another problem I'm facing is that there is a metal "o" ring within the connectors and at times this becomes loose and actually falls out sometimes. This is very worrying as if this falls out then the only thing holding the tether together is basically the braid i was talking about above.

I have found a last resort technique for us that worked when our tether seemed to be taking in water and the video quality was affected. Basically what we did was make the connection, cover it in about a tube of silicone and then use electrical tape to form a "silicone" mold around the connection point.Basically we let the silicone dry and the ROV gave us about 1 hour of work before water started seeping into the connection again. Basically this was great because we did not have a molding kit or time to splice a new tether connection. After the job both ends had to be terminated though....too much silicone...but it did the job. I've attached a picture of the makeshift connection we ended up using the tether management was off because we almost lost our unit that day and had to do an "Emergency Save the ROV landing"

PA280114.JPG

My application for the ROV is basically environmental research as well as other things like well capping etc in the oil and gas industry.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.
ROVTrini
Dabbler

Re: Tether Connection Question

Postby scott_bentley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 pm

Our support people are working on a response to this. However, if you (or any VideoRay user) has a product issue like this, which appears to be a failure in a part (in this case the tether connector,) you should feel free to contact our support group by emailing support@videoray.com or calling +1 610 458 3000 .

Scott Bentley, President, VideoRay LLC
scott_bentley

Postby tom_glebas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:34 pm

The braided tether connections are a backup method in case the tether connection itself fails. Personally, they are not one of my favorite design aspects of VideoRay, but they do the job if necessary.

In normal use, tethers generally last years. The rougher the environment and use, like anything else, the expected life may be shortened.

Are you using a weight on the tether?

How old is your tether?

How long is your tether - do you have a TDS reel?

It is very rare for the split ring to pull out of the collar. I have only heard of this happening when the ROV is stuck, not from normal pull on the tether of the ROV or retrieval process. We can send you new collars. Perhaps the ones you have now have a rounded lip from the ring pulling out, which would make it easier for the ring to pull out again.

Regarding the video issue? Can you send or post a picture of the tether connection contact points? These are standard industry grade wet matable connectors and should seal even when wet.

Are you using anything to lubricate the connections? We recommend using only 100% silicone spray. Don't use the silicone grease, which tends to collect dirt and make the situation worse rather than better. Also, lubricants like W-D40 or petroleum based products will degrade the rubber over time. We can replace the ends with new connections, which it sounds like you may need to get back to the original performance.

As Scott mentioned, for any support issue, please feel free to contact us directly at support@videoray.com.

Tom
tom_glebas

Postby ROVTrini » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:24 am

the particular connection in question was not older than 2 months. Since then we have had all our connectors redone. Currently im on a job in venezuela with the redone cables and connections. We have not weighted anything except for the small weights on the ROV itself. I have since attached our 500ft tehter to the TDS spool and hope that we dont run into any problems. I tested all connections in trinidad using a boat and going to 250ft with the ROV to pressure test the connections. For this job we just need to go to 200ft. We are still very wary of the "o ring" problem and have connected the braids with cable ties as a backup in case anything goes really badly.

Basically for my trip i have 500ft negative, 200ft Negative, 2x 100 ft performance the max depth i will be going to is 200 ft so i hope and pray we have no tether issues this time around. The environment is very harsh as we are lowering the ROV from a texas deck to the seafloor. The only strain on the tether is from wind action and then there is the current on the water.
ROVTrini
Dabbler

Postby tom_glebas » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:38 pm

With new connectors, you should not have a problem. I hope your mission is successful and let us know how things work. If you do need help, contact support@videoray.com as soon as you can.

Tom
tom_glebas

Return to General ROV / VideoRay Product Questions and Tips