Multi Sonar Skid Use...

Discussion space for posts that don't fit into the other categories, such as issues with VideoRay products, or general ROV tips.

Multi Sonar Skid Use...

Postby Chief » Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 am

They say necessity is the mother of all inventions, and I'd somewhat agree. As any one who has used a BlueView Sonar on a VideoRay knows, there is an ethernet integration kit/skid. When you buy a sonar from VideoRay, the price includes the full integration kit (unlike some other manufacturer's out there :shock: ). Now there are those of us that believe there is no one perfect sonar for every application, and I am definetely part of that crowd. If you purchase the integration kit separately, you can pay upto $5K for it ($8K for the P900-130 kit). I've been working with a client that has multiple sonar heads but didn't want to buy separate integration kits (they didn't purchase their sonar from VideoRay). So I was asked to come up with a way to use their different sonar (they have a P-450, P-900-45 & P900-130) on a P900-130 integration kit. What we came up with (I can't take credit for the idea, only the implementation...) was to take a thin piece of stainless steel, put two holes in it for mounting bolts and place it over the fiber carbon side plates. What this allows you to do is use one integration kit for a P-450, P-900-45 and a P900-130. One other bonus is that we'll be able to use all sonar using a transfer rate of soemthing like 50MBps (Marcus or Tom can give the specifics). Now it's not the best looking contraption or idea I've come up with, but it works very well, and I'm quite sure there will soon be an"adapter" package for around $2K available from VideoRay :D

Also, You can use a P900-45 skid to mount a P450, but a P450 skid will not support a P900.

Here is the picture:
Multiskid.JPG
Chief

Re: Multi Sonar Skid Use...

Postby tom_glebas » Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Actually, our plan is to develop a universal mount, but there are several challenges to doing that because each sonar is a different size and the mounting hole locations are different except on the 450-45 and 900-45. The center of gravity is also different, but this can be mitigated to some extent by relocating ballast.

Tom
tom_glebas

Re: Multi Sonar Skid Use...

Postby Chief » Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 am

Tom,

The distance between the mounting holes may vary, front to rear, (actually the 900-45 and 450 are identical) but the location of say the front is two is identical on each of their 2D sonar. This was just a simple solution because the 900-130 was being used on the Antipodes Submarine.

Craig
Chief

Return to General ROV / VideoRay Product Questions and Tips