Deep Assistant...

Discussion space for posts that don't fit into the other categories, such as issues with VideoRay products, or general ROV tips.

Deep Assistant...

Postby Chief » Fri May 14, 2010 7:48 pm

A few weeks ago I was making several dives to well over 700' using a Pro4. We were clumpweighting the tether to help prevent tether drag. As anyone who has ever done any deep operations with a clump weight, pulling the tether can prove to be quite a work out, especially if you have a lot of weight on the tether. One of the folks on the boat (brought along just to pull the tether) said something like "it'd sure be nice if we had a crab pot puller"... To which another person said something like "we had one on here last summer when we were hauling pots". So we found the rig and set it up. Sure enough it worked very, very well. From over 700' deep to the surface took under 10 minutes. Not a blazing fast speed, but enough that one person was able to tend the line through the pulley and another was able to tend the tether on deck with no problems. Anyhow, it's something that might be a big help in some other deep dives.

Chief

deep_puller.JPG
Chief

Re: Deep Assistant...

Postby Jeff Snyder » Fri May 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Daggone it. I just sold one of my first survey boats (a small lobsterman) and the pot hauler went with it...nice to know that the tether can run through a hauler though.
Jeff Snyder

Postby Craig Bussel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Jeff, and everyone else
Never, never, ever pull on the tether unless you have a spare or you have no choice. It is not a rope, allow the vehicle to surface when you can.
If you want to purchase a new tether, well go for it, Erick and Scott are going to love you (no Offence Eric and Scott).
"Typical" ROV tether life setting on a shelf is 3 years, it is the life blood of you system, treat it as such. Yes the VideoRay is number one as a "Timex", but you have to care for your system.
Not busting on you Jeff :D
Craig Bussel

Postby Chief » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Craig,

Unfortunately, letting the sub rise on it's own is rarely an option when going deep. In the photo with the pulley we had 1250 of negative tether and a 20lb clump weight 250' back from the sub. VideoRay tethers are pretty tough. I mean they have something like a 1000lb breaking strength. Steve recently recovered a 200+lb probe that was lost in the gulf for a university. They retrieved it by putting the tether in a pulley and winching it up. I mean this isn't that cheap green fiber optic stuff :mrgreen: , this is kevlar reinforced tether and I can tell you I personally put it to the test quite regularly. If you happen to break it, it's no big deal to repair it yourself or by an authorized service center.

Chief
Chief

Postby Craig Bussel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey,
My point was, if you want it to last, do not stress it. I "know" they are tough, so take my advice for what it is worth. Won't bother me the slightest. Just giving advice from 20+ years ROV experince, not dogging anyone. (except Jeff, only because I like dogging him) The situation will dictate the recovery, on a drifter boat, yes, getting it up as fast as possible is a plus.
Craig
Craig Bussel

Return to General ROV / VideoRay Product Questions and Tips