New Skid design uses ABS Plastic.

Discussion space for posts that don't fit into the other categories, such as issues with VideoRay products, or general ROV tips.

Would you be interested in a custom skid?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Yes.
100%
Not for me.
No votes

Total votes : 3

New Skid design uses ABS Plastic.

Postby prowe » Fri May 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Craig,
Production 1W + custom ABS skid is on its way to you.
Put it through the paces and let us (the VideoRay world) know how it works!
VR Yellow skid.jpg

Patrick

Anyone else interested?
Last edited by prowe on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
Ph: 414. 840. 3855
Fx: 920. 699. 2535
prowe

Re: Coming to an ROV near you soon.

Postby Chief » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Patrick,

The skid works like a champ!!! We had several kids flying the VideoRay with the skid around some wrecks and stuff and the paint held up nicely. If someone breaks one of these skids, they are going to have bigger problems... i.e. the ROV itself is probably crushed at this point. Nice job!

Chief
Chief

Postby prowe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback Chief! Keep us posted as the skid gets more dive time (and abuse).
Another Test Skid is heading for Chris @ MRDF. He is going to test several additional aspect for me. Hope it woks out as well for him.
The folks at VideoRay now have the ABS skid for testing, Hope to hear their results soon.
Most of the production bugs are worked out, I still have a few post production options issues to deal with. For the most part we are about ready to go with it!

Patrick
Extended weight holes.jpg

For availability and ordering information on this new skid please check under "Services Offered" area under "Midwest ROV".
you can follow this link to get there.
http://www.rovinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=117&sid=c844c5d6e37d05c296b865b5b4728001

pr/.
Last edited by prowe on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
prowe

Postby prowe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 pm

With the extended hole pattern option on the ABS skid some new and interesting weight and tool mounting configurations can be explored.

Weighting the ROV with the manipulator can be fun, Having the option to mount the weights under the manipulator makes balancing much easier and cleaner.
Manip2.jpg

Weights mounted using the center line holes under the manipulator.
Manip1.jpg

With the center line holes in the ABS skid spaced at the same interval as the width of the mounting holes for the weight holder, the holder can now be mounted crosswise. Mounting in this orientation allows for easy side to side balance. With the single weight mounted on the center line of the backbone for fore and aft balance.
Weights-mount1.jpg

Since working on the ABS skid project I have discovered a few things I would like to pass along:
1) Screws in ABS seem to be less prone to loosing up. The ABS seems to act like a nylon lock nut.
2) The ABS skid is a bit more buoyant and will require 1 additional small weight to equal the standard skid.
3) ABS is much stronger and stiffer, the back bone is double the thickness and width allowing for longer screws to secure weights and tools.
4) ABS can be easily repaired using plastic epoxy or plastic welding an availabe service at most auto body shops.
5) Krylon Fusion yellow is very close to the VideoRay float block yellow. The silver on the bottom edges of the skid is Krylon too.
**Krylon Fusion comes in many colors making it very easy to personalize the white ABS skid.

og7.jpg

** The Yellow Skid shown above was shipped to Submerged Recovery for testing and evaluation. Chief installed it on one of the Ocean Gate ROVs so it could get some serious use. Several of the ABS skids are now in the field and the feedback has been good!
Initially the ABS skid can be purchased from Mike at Mecco http://www.meccoinc.com or Patrick at Midwest ROV http://www.midwestrov.com.
Contact Mike or Patrick for availability and pricing.
Last edited by prowe on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
prowe

Postby tom_glebas » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:01 am

Good work Patrick.

I just want to add a caution that screw length should be carefully measured so the screws through the skid do not contact the hull. If they do, we have seen this lead to rapid corrosion, and in some cases, we have even seen the hulls deformed by over tightening.

Tom
tom_glebas

Postby prowe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am

Tom,
VERY GOOD ADVICE FOR EVERYONE!
When putting together the weight mounting kits I used some very good feed back from Chris O. @ MRDF on that very topic! The double thick back bone on the ABS skid allows for ~50 to 75% more screw penetration (and hold) without poking through the top of the skid and touching the hull. I agree that SS (or any type of metal) screw in contact with the hull will result in a bad outcome!
I am testing Nylon thumb screws to hold weights and tools on instead of the SS screws currently in use. Granted they are not as strong as SS screws, but they seem to hold well and you don't have to worry as much about contact with the hull. I will keep you posted on the Nylon thumb screw topic as I test it.

VideoRay hulls are well protected from corrosion from the factory, damage to the hull coating will accelerate corrosion and possible failure!

Thanks Tom for sharing your insight and feedback! Keep it coming, We all learn from it.
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
prowe

Postby Chief » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Patrick,

OceanGate has received their new skid and I've got to say it's pretty impressive. It's simple and very effective and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's less expensive than a regular skid???

One thing I didn't realize was that the skid looks like it's been Rhino-Lined... Not only is it rugged, it looks very rugged!

My advice to anyone who needs a new skid, get one of the new ABS one's from Patrick!

Craig
Chief

Postby prowe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for the review Craig.
One thing I have noticed about the default wrinkle finish on the ABS plastic is that it doesn't seem to stick in the mud as bad and comes up cleaner.
So if you can find some mud on the bottom could you check out this observation for me?
Also with the extended hole pattern let us users know if you come up with some creative or innovative weight or tool mounting configurations?
Pictures work good!
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
prowe

Postby Chief » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Patrick,

One thing I have noticed is that with the "thicker" base plate, the manipulator actually sits below the skid (normally it's just above the bottom of the skid). So if you have a properly ballasted and trimmed out ROV you will be able to actually pick up something like a quarter off a pool bottom, or in our trainee's case, they'll be able to pick up one of the small weights much easier now.

A nice little added benefit that falls into the "unintended consequences" column.

Chief
Chief

Postby prowe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Good find Chief!
That brings to mind, when I am working with students I take some quarters and put a small duct tape flag in each quarter, I tell the students they can keep the coins if they can pick them up with the manipulator.. It sure focuses their interest and for a few bucks spreads the good will.
With your discovery in mind may be I will make it a bit harder and leave off the tape tab and see how they do :wink:
Keep me posted if you discover anymore hidden features.
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
prowe

Postby tom_glebas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:03 am

As long as the manipulator has come up, I just posted some general manip tips here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=548

Please feel free to add other manip suggestions there to keep threads on track.

Tom
tom_glebas

Postby Chief » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:07 am

Patrick,

Great idea about the quarters and tape. It gives me an idea on a challenge I can use when training militray personnel.

I also just finished painting a bunch of weights yellow... I'll put them on the skid later and post a picture. The goal was to see if it made the VideoRay look cleaner so to speak. If it looks good, maybe the manipulator will be next...
:shock:

Chief
Chief

Postby tom_glebas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 am

Now, if we can just get people who drop coins in the water to tape them first...
:D
tom_glebas

Postby prowe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:27 am

Chief,
COOL! I am looking forward to the pictures!
I wouldn't suggest painting the manipulator grips yellow, I did a yellow stripe on the grips, it messes with the camera in higher light conditions, kind of takes on a fuzzy glow where the yellow paint is. I went back to the basic black grip fingers with a couple of dots at the tips and base of the grip fingers.

I can't wait for one of the VideoRay owners to orders a Skid in pink! :D
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
prowe

Re: New Skid design uses ABS Plastic.

Postby prowe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:58 am

ABS skid update 11/8/2010

I have made a modification to take into account the hight of the skid due to the increase in the backbone thickness.
What this means is that the Manipulator and other tools will now mount exactly as they do on the OEM polycarbonate skid.

I have re-worked the hole patterns to be more symmetrical and versatile. I will be posting a data sheet in the near future.

I plan on stocking a few skids to speed up delivery.

I have contracted with a CNC shop to drill and tap the holes in the skids. This will make standard and custom orders much easier, accurate and faster to produce.

Happy holidays!
Patrick Rowe
Midwest ROV LLC.
prowe@midwestrov.com
prowe

Return to General ROV / VideoRay Product Questions and Tips