VideoRay Scout Exhibit Custom Modification

Discussion space for ROV users at Museums, Science Centers and Aquariums

Moderator: chrisol

VideoRay Scout Exhibit Custom Modification

Postby Devilfish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am

Hello All,
My team and I just recently finished a custom interactive using the VideoRay Scout in and 18,000 gallon tank in which visitors can control the ROV with a live feed and several slave screens around the tank. After a month of testing, we've determined the ROV is too fast and needs to be slowed down a bit. Has anyone built and tests a custom modification of this nature on any related ROV? My two current lines of thought are to add some drag to the ROV itself or to at a limiter ring around the joystick preventing the visitor from going full speed. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for your time and help!
Devilfish
Dabbler

Re: VideoRay Scout Exhibit Custom Modification

Postby Guard_ROV » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:27 am

I recommend reaching out to VideoRay. They may be able to provide a software modification to limit the top speed.
Guard_ROV
Dabbler

Re: VideoRay Scout Exhibit Custom Modification

Postby tom_glebas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:03 pm

The most effective, reliable and easiest to maintain is to add a plexiglass cover over the panel with holes for the depth and joystick. The joystick hole can be undersized to limit the maximum thrust. This also serves to keep the panel from getting scratched, etc. Several other institutions have used this technique.

Tom
tom_glebas

Return to Educational, Academic, Aquarium, and Science Museum Applications